Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Bhima Koregaon Case Sc Grants Bail To Two Accused Jailed Since Aug 2018

Bhima Koregaon case: SC grants bail to two accused jailed since Aug 2018

Supreme Court on Friday granted bail to Vernon Gonsalves and Arun Ferreira- accused in Bhima Koregaon case

By PTI
Published Date - 28 July 2023, 05:40 PM
Bhima Koregaon case: SC grants bail to two accused jailed since Aug 2018
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted bail to Vernon Gonsalves and Arun Ferreira- accused in Bhima Koregaon case, who were in jail since August 2018.

A bench comprising Justices Aniruddha Bose and Sudhanshu Dhulia granted bail to the duo who were booked under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, 1967 for their alleged Maoist links. It said that the two accused cannot be kept behind the bars for a period of over five years pending trial, solely on the ground that they are charged for serious offences.

Also Read

  • NIA makes fifth arrest in Maharashtra ISIS module case
  • NIA attaches 3 properties in terror-gangster-drug smuggler nexus case

Considering the fact that almost five years have elapsed, we are satisfied they have made out a case for grant of bail. The allegations are serious, no doubt, but for that reason alone, bail cannot be denied, said the bench while pronouncing the order.

The court ordered that the two accused will not be allowed to leave the state of Maharashtra, while they are out on bail except with the permission of the trial court. The top court imposed many conditions for grant of bail, like surrendering passport with NIA, sharing of location with the IO, reporting to NIA once a week, etc.

The Supreme Court clarified that in case of breach of bail conditions, it will be open for prosecution to move an application seeking cancellation of bail. Earlier in December last year, the Bombay High Court had granted default bail to lawyer-activist Sudha Bharadwaj.

However, the division bench of Justices S.S. Shinde and N.J. Jamadar had declined the applications of eight other co-accused in the same case including Dr P. Varavara Rao, Sudhir Dhawale, Rona Wilson, Advocate Surendra Gadling, Prof Shoma Sen, Mahesh Raut, Arun Ferreira and Vernon Gonsalves.

In August 2022, the Supreme Court, while hearing a bail plea by Gonsalves, asked the NIA to move the special court to segregate the trial against the 15 accused arrested in the case from that of the accused who are still missing so that the trial can begin in the case.

The accused were arrested from different parts of India in June-August 2018 in swoops by the Pune Police and later the sensational case was taken over by the NIA in January 2020.

The case pertains to inciting people and giving provocative speeches during the Elgar Parishad organised by the activists of Kabir Kala Manch at Shaniwarwada in Maharashtra’s Pune on December 31, 2017, which promoted enmity between various caste groups and led to violence resulting in loss of life and property and state-wide agitation in Maharashtra.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • New Delhi
  • NIA
  • Supreme Court

Related News

  • Supreme Court sets up panel to examine police excesses during Delhi student protests

    Supreme Court sets up panel to examine police excesses during Delhi student protests

  • DoT directs telcos to enforce nine-SIM limit for mobile subscribers

    DoT directs telcos to enforce nine-SIM limit for mobile subscribers

  • Supreme Court seeks steps taken to reform NTA

    Supreme Court seeks steps taken to reform NTA

  • NEET: SC directs NTA to inform on steps taken to implement recommendations of Radhakrishnan panel

    NEET: SC directs NTA to inform on steps taken to implement recommendations of Radhakrishnan panel

Latest News

  • NTA defends Rs 200 answer key challenge fee, says it benefits all candidates

    3 hours ago
  • Magnitude 6.7 earthquake strikes southern Peru; no damage reported

    3 hours ago
  • Iran accuses US of ‘economic war’ as Trump threatens tougher sanctions

    3 hours ago
  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    5 hours ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    4 hours ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    5 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    5 hours ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    5 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam