Friday, Aug 21, 2026
English News
  • Hyderabad
  • Telangana
  • AP News
  • India
  • World
  • Entertainment
  • Sport
  • Science and Tech
  • Business
  • Rewind
  • ...
    • NRI
    • View Point
    • cartoon
    • My Space
    • Education Today
    • Reviews
    • Property
    • Lifestyle
E-Paper
  • NRI
  • View Point
  • cartoon
  • My Space
  • Reviews
  • Education Today
  • Property
  • Lifestyle
Home | India | Sc Commences Hearing Rejoinder Arguments Against Remission Granted To Convicts In Bilkis Bano Case

SC commences hearing rejoinder arguments against remission granted to convicts in Bilkis Bano case

Advocate Shobha Gupta, appearing for Bano, stressed that the three vital factors – the nature of crime, impact on the society at large and the precedent value – were not not taken into account while passing the remission orders.

By IANS
Published Date - 11 October 2023, 09:23 PM
SC commences hearing rejoinder arguments against remission granted to convicts in Bilkis Bano case
Photo: IANS
whatsapp facebook twitter telegram

New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Wednesday commenced hearing rejoinder arguments on behalf of the petitioners, including Bilkis Bano, against the early release of convicts by the Gujarat government.

A bench of Justices B.V. Nagarathna and Ujjal Bhuyan is undertaking final hearing in a batch of petitions filed against the remission granted to convicts in the case of the gang rape of Bilkis Bano and murder of her family members committed during the 2002 post-Godhra riots.

Also Read

  • SC signs MoU with IIT Madras for enhancing technologies for court proceedings
  • Delhi HC issues directives for protecting anonymity of sexual offence victims

Advocate Shobha Gupta, appearing for Bano, stressed that the three vital factors – the nature of crime, impact on the society at large and the precedent value – were not not taken into account while passing the remission orders.

At this, the bench said that it will have to balance the both sides as convicts argue that they should be given a chance for their reformation and reintegration in the society.

“You are saying that remission should not be granted at all. They have also given judgment saying that remission is for the purpose of reformation, reintegration, etc.,” the top court told Gupta.

Gupta claimed that the early release orders were passed without any application of mind or referring to the gravity of the offence.

“It is not a gunshot injury case Milords ! Heads were smashed with stones. Eight minors were killed, including Bilkis Bano’s first child. She was smashed on a stone. This kind of threat, grossness, brutality, barbarism. A pregnant woman was gang-raped, her mother was gang raped,” she told the court, adding that a “gruesome” crime was committed.

Earlier, the convicts had argued before the apex court that remission orders granting them early release have an essence of judicial order and cannot be challenged by way of filing a writ petition under Article 32 of the Constitution.

The Centre, Gujarat government, and convicts have opposed the public interest litigations (PILs) filed by CPI-M leader Subhashini Ali, Trinamool Congress MP Mahua Moitra, the National Federation of Indian Women, Asma Shafique Shaikh and others against the remission orders, saying that once victim herself has approached the court, others may not be allowed to intervene in a criminal matter.

The 11 men convicted in the case were released on August 15 last year, after the Gujarat government allowed their release under its remission policy. The convicts had completed 15 years in jail.

The apex court will continue to hear the matter on Thursday.

  • Follow Us :
  • Tags
  • Apex Court
  • Bilkis Bano case
  • Gujarat government

Related News

  • Over 10 lakh Gujarat students to receive free sanitary napkins every month

    Over 10 lakh Gujarat students to receive free sanitary napkins every month

  • Nurjahan Jamani’s inspiring comeback earns Sardar Patel Sports Award

    Nurjahan Jamani’s inspiring comeback earns Sardar Patel Sports Award

  • Gujarat approves 28 new section officer posts to speed up administrative work

    Gujarat approves 28 new section officer posts to speed up administrative work

  • Union Cabinet clears India’s bid for 2030 Commonwealth Games

    Union Cabinet clears India’s bid for 2030 Commonwealth Games

Latest News

  • Opinion: Section 22-A and Right to Property

    1 hour ago
  • Houthis claim drone attacks on Saudi airport, Aramco facility

    31 minutes ago
  • Editorial: Trump’s tariff tantrums fail to dent India’s exports

    2 hours ago
  • India U-20 held to 0-0 draw by Yemen in friendly

    1 hour ago
  • East Bengal women smash 12-0 record win in AFC Women’s Champions League

    1 hour ago
  • Karimnagar athlete Naga Chaitra qualifies for CBSE Nationals with gold, silver

    2 hours ago
  • Hyderabad District Athletic Association to conduct athletics selection trials on August 22

    2 hours ago
  • EFLU suspends 14 students after NSUI-ABVP clash in Hyderabad

    2 hours ago

company

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy

business

  • Subscribe

telangana today

  • Telangana
  • Hyderabad
  • Latest News
  • Entertainment
  • World
  • Andhra Pradesh
  • Science & Tech
  • Sport

follow us

  • Telangana Today Telangana Today
Telangana Today Telangana Today

© Copyrights 2024 TELANGANA PUBLICATIONS PVT. LTD. All rights reserved. Powered by Veegam